I continued to work on this piece layer by layer. Next I added more stone chips to the piece. Now it was time to add what Wayne calls my sea weed ( the fringing with seed beads and pearls that come out of the openings in 3 of the larger shells.
At this point it was time to add the KEY to the piece. If you read the posts for my July piece with it's gate with lock, I said that I expected that somewhere during the year a key to that gate would show up. The actual key came from Marti (my mother-in-law) when I visited in November. This page seemed to me to be the one calling for the key. Now I can open my gate and go on the journey. I have already grown so much in the last year with this project that I can't wait to see how it all ends up.
The piece was now ready for a sprinkling of sand. I used 15/0 seed beads in several shades of creams and topazes for the sand and also used some small MOP (mother of Pearl) heishi beads and some small pearls. The sand was almost as easy to add as if I had indeed just grabbed a handful and sprinkled it on, it felt right.
The last addition to the page was the border. I decided to go with a cord made with Kumihimo braiding. This is a Japanese braiding technique that I have played with but this is the first time it is actually being used on a piece. I used 12 cords of hemps and waxed cotton. The nice thing is with the new foam kumihimo "looms" you can do the braiding anywhere including on car trips up to DC to look at new seats for the car. After sewing the cord onto the front and back I added a band of peyote to cover up the ends and Viola! another page I am thrilled with. Very me.